Saturday, 2 February 2013

STONEBRIDGE

"Stonebridge"

I began this painting at the end of 2012 in an online 'paint along' class,
  with Johannes Vloothuis, a great artist from Canada. 

I painted it in watercolour originally but I have now reworked it and added pastel to give it texture, and the snow more depth.  I think there are a few improvements I will make including chopping ....perhaps ....a couple of inches off the bottom of the painting! This will stop the viewer's eye from being led out of the painting by following the river, and will instead draw the eye into the church which is the main focus. I have added a cropped version under the details of the painting below so you can see that it will work!


"Stonebridge"
12" x 16"
Watercolour and Pastel
Winsor and Newton Watercolour Paper
©Jules Art Gallery
2nd February 2013



"Stonebridge"
updated


10 comments:

Marilyn R Miller said...

Thank you for your kind words on my blog! Like you, I found the 30 Paintings in 30 Days a great challenge and a beneficial one.

Jules said...

Thanks Marilyn! Keep on painting!!

Celia Blanco said...

This is beautiful, the two mediums work so well together.

Jules said...

Thank you for your comment Celia, I appreciate it very much !

Tammie Dickerson said...

I like the whimsical feel in this painting! Well done!

Sharon said...

This is lovely. I feel like I could just walk into this painting. Reminds me of a place in Minnesota I use to go to.

Jules said...

Thank you Tammie, and thanks for dropping by!

Jules said...

Thank you Sharon I appreciate you looking at my paintings and leaving me such a lovely compliment x

Jane said...

I LOVE it ! Such a beautiful fairy tale atmosphere , and mixing pastel and watercolor is a thing I never thought of, but works very well !

Jules said...

Thank you Jane, since I discovered how well pastel and watercolour can be used together most of my paintings are now mixed media. Thanks for your compliments they are really appreciated and encouraging!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...